About this Policy
This policy sets out how Discount Vehicles Australia Pty Ltd and its parent company carsales.com Limited (carsales) collects, uses and discloses your personal information.
By accessing or using carsales services, including the carsales Network you agree to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information in the manner described in this policy.
Carsales and privacy
carsales.com.au is bound by the Privacy Act (1988).
What personal information is collected?
carsales collects personal information to assist it and its related bodies corporate to conduct their activities and provide the range of services they offer.
Personal information collected by carsales may include:
- identification details, which may include name, birth date, gender, security questions and answers;
- contact information which may include email address and mobile phone number;
- bank account and credit account details;
- user IDs and passwords;
- services provided to you, including saved items and searches;
- business information, such as ABN and licence number;
- information submitted in placing an advertisement, for example vehicle details and pricing;
- information submitted in applying for or requesting a quote for a finance or insurance related product;
- information about the devices on which you visit the carsales Network, and your activities on those sites;
- third party account details (for example where you sign in through a social network);
- social profile information;
- records and content of communications with carsales or any other person including records and content using Communications Services (as that term is defined in carsales’ Terms and Conditions of Use); and
- information obtained as a result of your use of our mobile website or application such as geo-locations and unique device identifiers.
Please note that such records and content may be stored and scanned by carsales.
How is personal information collected?
carsales collects personal information in a number of ways, including:
- directly from you when you provide information directly to carsales in person, by phone or in writing (whether electronic or otherwise) for example when you create an advertisement on one of our websites; when you enquire about an item on one of our websites; or in a contract with your business to provide you with our services;
- directly from you when you communicate with carsales or any other person using carsales Communications Services;
from third parties such as:
- carsales related companies; resellers of carsales services and service providers to carsales;
- operators of linked or served web sites, applications and advertising on the carsales network;
- social networks where you choose to share that information when creating an account;
- from 3rd party data providers who have been directed by you to send us information on your behalf;
- through use of carsales proprietary software in which personal information is stored;
from organisations identified or described under the heading "How is personal information disclosed".
carsales may collect personal information about you if you are a carsales shareholder. This information may be collected from you directly when you subscribe to receive email alerts via the carsales website or from third parties such as carsales’ share registry.
How is personal information used?
Your personal information may be used for the following purposes:
- to maintain appropriate business records;
- to research, develop, improve and use within carsales products and services and by its outsourced service providers to provide and improve their services;
- to pre-populate / customise / provide shortcuts on our websites;
- to conduct surveys to determine use and satisfaction with carsales services;
- to generate statistics in relation to the carsales Network;
- for the purposes of feedback, reviews and ratings;
- to promote and market special offers and other services to you (if you do not want to receive these, please let us know by clicking here);
- for purposes connected with the operation of the carsales Network;
- for staff training and quality assurance;
- to personalise the site experience and / or the advertising you see when you visit sites within the carsales Network; to contact winners of trade promotions run by carsales
How is personal information disclosed?
carsales may disclose personal information to individuals and organisations other than carsales. The organisations to which we may disclose personal information include:
- carsales’ staff and carsales’ related bodies corporate and their staff
- the public if you advertise with carsales or use publicly available Communications Services
individuals and organisations that advertise with carsales if you submit an enquiry or seek or acquire certain services through carsales - depending on your enquiry or the services being sought or acquired these may include:
If you do not want carsales to disclose your personal information to these individuals and organisations, you should not submit an enquiry or acquire those services.
- private advertisers;
- licensed car dealers;
- original equipment manufacturers;
- car brokers;
- operators of Linked Sites;
- financial service providers;
- insurance service providers;
- vehicle inspection service providers;
- transportation service providers;
- payment services providers;
- outsourced service providers who assist any of the above persons to provide services;
outsourced service providers who assist carsales to provide its services including:
- information technology providers;
- marketing and market research advisers;
- professional advisers; and
- payment platforms.
- entities to whom you request we send your information;
- resellers of carsales services;
- organisations involved in a sale/transfer of carsales or any of its related bodies corporate’s assets, business or shares;
- to assist government or regulatory authorities or police;
- as we are required by law, for example pursuant to a subpoena or in accordance with unclaimed money legislation.
Maintaining personal information quality
carsales strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date records. To facilitate this, please let us know if any of your details change. You may update certain personal information through your membership account (if you have one) or click here to contact us by email.
carsales may destroy or de-identify personal information once the information is no longer deemed required by the business.
How to access your personal information
You generally have a right to access your personal information, subject to a few exceptions provided by law. If you wish to access
your personal information please Click here
or on the "contact us" link at the bottom of this page.
Please remember to provide as much detail as you can as this will help us to find
the information. There is no charge for this service, however you may be required to verify your identity before any information is released to you.
Please note that depending on the volume or nature of the information required, it may take a number of days to fulfil the request.
About security and personal Information
carsales takes reasonable steps to protect personal information collected from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modifications or disclosure.
Your personal information may be stored in hard copy documents, but is generally stored electronically on carsales’ systems.
Transfer of personal information outside of Australia
Dealing with carsales anonymously
You may deal with carsales anonymously by using a pseudonym, unless carsales is required or authorised by law to deal only with an identified person, or it is impracticable for us to respond to you if you have not identified yourself.
What if you don't provide personal information?
If you choose not to provide personal information when requested, carsales may not be able to provide you with the full range of carsales services.
carsales Network, Linked Sites and personal information
When you visit a website or use an application on the carsales Network, carsales records anonymous information such as IP address, time, date, referring url, and other referral information, device information and location, carrier, site interactions such as your access to website features, pages accessed, content, searching activities, lead submission, and files accessed and downloaded, type of browser and operating system.
Such information collected by carsales may be linked to other information carsales holds about a user, compiling a complete profile about carsales users’ browsing, purchasing and other activities on the carsales Network.
carsales may use third party advertising companies to collect data and/or serve ads when you visit a website on the carsales Network. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address or telephone number) about your visits to websites in order to provide advertisements about good and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, visit http://networkadvertising.org/.
carsales uses "cookies" and other methods to collect and store the information set out above. A cookie is a small file that stays on your computer until, depending on whether it is a sessional or persistent cookie, you turn your computer off or it expires (this may be as little as 30 days or up 2 years, or longer in some cases). Cookies may be used by carsales or by service providers engaged by carsales to provide you with the full range of services it offers, remember your preferences, remember the sites you visit on the carsales Network, measure and analyse usage of the carsales Network and for security. Persistent cookies may be used to identify the sites you visit on the carsales Network and to personalise the advertising that you see when you make future visits to those sites or other sites or platforms. Cookie data may be sold, licensed or otherwise provided to third parties for sale via advertising exchanges for this purpose. You may adjust your Internet browser settings to disable cookies. If cookies are disabled carsales may not be able to provide you with the full range of carsales services.
Carsales uses Nielsen/NetRatings web analytics tools to measure and analyse internet usage across our the carsales Network of websites. This service helps us measure and respond to our online consumers. The data collected does not identify a user personally.
What if I have a problem?
If you have a problem, complaint, want to change your personal information or just wish to enquire about privacy please contact us.
Level 4, 449 Punt Road, Richmond VIC 3121
Locked Bag 9001, Richmond VIC 3121
+61 (03) 9093 8600 (Business Hours EST)
Click here to contact us by email
carsales treats complaints relating to privacy extremely seriously.
If you submit a concern or complaint, we will endeavour to deal with it comprehensively and reach an outcome with which all parties are satisfied.
If you would like further information about privacy in Australia, please review the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner’s website.
How this policy changes
This policy may change over time. All changes will be published on this website.
Version 7 (June 2016)